Elizabeth Marsten talks with Jason Barnard about retail media in search.
Elizabeth Marsten is senior director of marketplace strategic services at Tinuiti, working on the launch and growth of Walmart Advertising Service, Education and Product Support. She is a spokesperson for eCommerce, writes regularly for AdWeek and has expertise in paid search, marketplaces, SEO, content, analytics, social media – marketing, digital marketing and, of course, retail media.
You have probably wondered how Walmart, Amazon, Target, Home Depot and other retailers, get consumers or brands to pay to use their platform. And if you have ever listened to Elizabeth Marsten, you’ll have wondered what role does retail media play in this?
Elizabeth talks incredibly eloquently about retail media. She points out that it has not been around that long, but the principle has. It started years ago when Amazon, Target and Walmart first set up their websites and ran ads.
This episode also covered the advantages and implications of retailers building their own Knowledge Graph, how an Internal Search Engine an be leveraged to improve a retailer’s ranking in Google search, and the issue of third-party cookies for large retailers.
As always the show ends with passing the Baton… Elizabeth Marsten smoothly passes the virtual baton to next week’s lovely guest, Kim Krause Berg.
What you’ll learn from Elizabeth Marsten
- 00:00 Elizabeth Marsten and Jason Barnard
- 00:20 Ukraine Defending its Freedom: Over a Month Now
- 01:16 Elizabeth Marsten’s Brand SERP
- 04:00 What is Retail Media in Search?
- 05:00 Third Party Cookies for Big Retailers
- 07:22 On-Site Search for the Retailer
- 10:16 Why Elizabeth Marsten Sees Google as a Competitor
- 10:55 Can Building an Internal Search Engine and an Internal Knowledge Graph Help a Retailer With SEO?
- 13:19 Should Retailers Build their Own Knowledge Graph?
- 18:19 How can Retailers (Walmart and Target) Leverage Pay-to-Play for Brands
- 23:10 Ebay is a Unique Retailer. Why?
- 25:26 An Overview of Facebook Marketplace
- 28:00 Passing the Baton: Elizabeth Marsten to Kim Krause Berg
This episode was recorded live on video March 29th 2022
Recorded live at Kalicube Tuesdays (Digital Marketing Livestream Event Series). Watch the video now >>