Simon Cox talks with Jason Barnard about it’s OK to be a webmaster.
Simon Cox is a jack of all trades (and proud of it) – technical SEO consultant, webmaster, designer, typographer, developer, blogger, model maker. In this fantastic episode, Simon and Jason Barnard talk about the idea of leveraging multi-skills and high-level understanding for project oversight in the web development process.
Simon explains what it means to be a webmaster and why companies, either big or small, need a generalist. Jason responds with a fun analogy comparing ultra-experts to a wonky table, something you definitely should watch out for.
They go on to exchange stories and insights into why it might be a good move to be a generalist and not be dragged into specialisation. The roles and opportunities for a generalist are probably more varied and interesting than you imagine.
Simon shares his experience with the Badger Trust, but also how he “killed” the Linotype machine operators’ jobs by being one of the first Mac desktop publishing experts in the UK. Plus you’ll also get his predictive insight of where the ultra experts in the fields will end up if they don’t take some time to get bits of experience from other fields.
As always, the show ends with passing the baton…Simon groovily hands over to next week’s stunning guest, Alisa Meredith.
What you’ll learn from Simon Cox
- 00:00 Simon Cox and Jason Barnard
- 00:48 Simon Cox’s Brand SERP
- 04:47 What was the role of a webmaster in the 1990s?
- 10:43 Why we need webmasters today more than ever
- 12:54 Where a webmaster really shows their value
- 16:26 Is the role of webmaster only appropriate for small businesses?
- 17:46 The problem with being an ultra-specialist SEO
- 21:55 The foundational skills a generalist SEO needs
- 23:52 Knowing where to look is more important than knowing
- 26:56 Dangers of over-specialisation in SEO
- 30:53 Example: Simon explains his role at The Badger Trust
- 36:06 Variety is the spice of life… even in SEO
- 41:43 Passing the Baton: Simon Cox to Alisa Meredith
This episode was recorded live on video October 05th 2021
Recorded live at Kalicube Tuesdays (Digital Marketing Livestream Event Series). Watch the video now >>