Russ Jeffery talks with Jason Barnard about the fallout from core web vitals.
Russell Jeffery is digital presence expert and he is Duda’s Director of Strategic Integrations. He leads product and technology integrations with large industry partners, such as Thryv and Yell. He is also responsible for adding best-in-breed products and services to Duda’s ecosystem that serves agencies, SaaS platforms, and hosting companies.
On a Duda webinar in May 2021, Russ Jeffery and Jason Barnard discussed what they thought might happen with CWV (Get Down to the Core of Google’s Core Web Vitals). This follow-up was to look at its actual effects to the ranking algorithm and web development.
On a Duda webinar in May 2021, Russ Jeffery and Jason Barnard discussed what they thought might happen with CWV (Get Down to the Core of Google’s Core Web Vitals). This follow-up was to look at its actual effects on the ranking algorithm and web development.
Russ has a super delightful way of explaining the whys and hows of user experience, search engine algorithms, and how to build websites for both. He also shares his thoughts on how CWV will evolve and impact SEO in the near future…. And ends with tips on taking a strategic business approach to implementing CWV (and other UX and SEO considerations). Brilliant!
What you’ll learn from Russ Jeffery
- 00:00 Russ Jeffery and Jason Barnard
- 01:15 Happy Yellow Koala Family now reunited
- 01:48 Russ Jeffery’s Brand SERP (too much Jason)
- 02:26 What actually happened when Google added CWV to the ranking algorithm
- 03:52 How does LCP (largest contentful paint) fit into CWV?
- 06:21 Cumulative Layout Shift: The pain of unexpected shifting of web elements
- 08:15 Why did Google choose CLS as a core web vital?
- 09:57 First Contentful Paint – a non-CWV user-centric metric
- 12:15 Why does Google “piggyback” on sites with great user-experience?
- 14:48 How did Duda’s customers respond to the CWV news?
- 16:38 UX design bells and whistles = a big no
- 18:37 CWV Trade offs: What the boss wants versus what’s actually essential
- 19:58 Mobile friendliness and https:// – Did they really affect the rankings?
- 21:45 “The circumstances where two results put in an equal bid is next to never” – Gary Illyes
- 23:31 CWV feature (non-existent) versus AMP
- 26:20 Always judge page speed outside of a developer’s office
- 29:55 The restrictions and flexibility on website builder themes
- 35:10 How do SEOs manage to get the developers thinking about CWV?
- 36:45 How to get the boss and the developer to talk to each other about the trade offs
This episode was recorded live on video August 10th 2021
Recorded live at Kalicube Tuesdays (Digital Marketing Livestream Event Series). Watch the video now>>