Kaspar Szymanski with Jason Barnard at Kalicube Tuesdays
Kaspar Szymanski talks with Jason Barnard about SEO disasters.
In this podcast Kasper and Jason talk about how to avoid SEO disasters such as incorrectly migrating your site, failing to correctly build links or even to simply rely on inaccurate tools such as Google Translate. Using his years of experience working with Google Kasper has a mountain of knowledge regarding the pitfalls businesses fall in and how to best they can climb out.
Using examples, he explains how companies made SEO mistakes and how often it is unintentional and also avoidable. He explains that by simply bringing in a third party consultant with an impartial view on your website you can often catch these errors before it destroys your business.
You can read more from Kaspar on these examples here https://searchengineland.com/seo-horror-stories-heres-what-not-to-do-339698
What you’ll learn
- 00:03 Introducing Kaspar Szymanski
- 02:29 What can you learn from looking into previous SEO disasters?
- 03:40 Ranking on Kasper’s personal brand SERP
- 04:57 What makes for a ‘good’ SEO disaster?
- 06:11 SEO disaster #1: luxury retail brand
- 09:16 Why did their rankings totally disappear?
- 10:14 Was recovery feasible?
- 10:50 How these mistakes could have been be avoided
- 12:00 What timescale should you follow to migrate (content or domain) successfully
- 13:39 The importance of having an outsider give an impartial review of your website
- 14:44 SEO disaster #2: Travel price comparison site
- 16:27 Going international going wrong
- 18:06 A takeaway for the audience regarding saving, preserving and retaining their servers’ logs
- 19:21 Legality of General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) regarding server logs
- 21:09 How can you help consultants fix your mistakes?
- 21:54 What does Kasper recommend you do to successfully migrate a website when staying on the same domain?
- 24:10 Migrating HUGE websites (500 million landing pages!)
- 25:16 How site migration can be used as a way to improve your website
- 26:42 Crawling tools such as Botify, DeepCrawl and Screaming Frog and how they can help with your site migration
- 27:15 Why you should NOT overlook Google Search Console
- 28:14 SEO disaster #3: international medical website
- 29:40 Those who catch you out are often those who will bail you out
- 31:00 The challenge of a backlink audit
- 31:58 A blueprint on how to build links
- 32:40 The need for a unique selling proposition when link building
- 34:34 Was the medical website business able to recover?
- 35:48 Why is Kasper a former Google guy a big Bing fan?
- 37:46 Once you have submitted a disavow file what will happen?
Subscribe to the podcast
This episode was recorded live on video October 6th 2020
Recorded live at Kalicube Tuesdays (Digital Marketing Livestream Event Series). Watch the video now >>