Dave Davies talks with Jason Barnard about the accelerating change in the layout of Google SERPs.
When the Brand SERP Guy meets the Duke of URL, it’s safe to say we’re witnessing a match made in heaven.
Dave Davis — co-founder of Oohloo Internet Marketing, author and SEO specialist — joins Jason Barnard on a fascinating discussion about the recent Google layout and functionality updates on the SERP, and what 2021 might bring.
Things are really changing rapidly — Just in the last 30 days, there has been a total of 20 changes on Google’s SERP. Dave’s bet is that 2021 is going to be the Year of the SERP.
One thing is clear, most marketers and brands are not keeping up with the new SERP rich elements in order to make the most of it. That’s a fantastic opportunity for you to get ahead of the game.
What you will learn
- 0:28 The problem in trying to optimize the Google result for the name “Dave Davis”
- 2:05 The story behind the name “Oohloo” and its correct pronunciation
- 4:02 How Dave used Kalicube’s Brand SERP courses to shape the anatomy of his own Brand SERP (and control it)
- 6:23 The newly updated Kalicube’s Brand SERP tracking tool
- 7:00 Why is 2021 the year of the SERP?
- 12:17 Most marketers and brands are not keeping up with the new SERP rich elements / SERP features
- 13:56 Entities and knowledge panels as the cornerstone of entity calculation
- 17:12 Companies are limiting themselves by only competing for bluelinks — how can they re-address their outdated SERP strategy?
- 19:28 Dave’s idea on how Google could improve its personalization of UX
- 24:20 The importance of thinking about SERP layouts / the anatomy of the SERP, as opposed to the old idea of the 10 blue links
- 25:11 More on Google’s personalization of results and layout
- 27:31 Importance of understanding your audience and their context
- 30:57 Yet more on Google’s personalization of UX, and the potential for Google to determine search intent more accurately in the future
- 33:02 Chrome as an extension of search, and passage-based indexing
- 37:16 Is the best strategy to simply package our content the best we can for Google, and then ‘let Google get on with it’ since it knows its users way better than us?
Subscribe to the podcast
This episode was recorded live on video December 23rd 2020
Recorded live at Kalicube Tuesdays (Digital Marketing Livestream Event Series). Watch the video now >>