Nathan Chalmers with Jason Barnard at The Bing Series
Nathan Chalmers talks to Jason Barnard about the whole page algorithm.
Nathan had done his homework by listening to previous episodes…. And he loves the song 🙂
A year ago I didn’t know about the bidding system in Google and Bing ranking… and 6 months ago I didn’t know there was a whole page team. Now I get to learn how the latter affects the former.
He tells me my initial analysis was good, but I made it all sound more mechanical than it truly is.
Next reveal – there are 6 teams that work together to build the whole page, each with their own Darwinistic system, with the aim of creating the best user experience.
The blue links are the base and they are NOT dying out, even if I thought they were.
Then onto Brand SERPs – and although I had seen that they are nuanced, but I had underestimated just HOW nuanced. User behaviour on the SERP is key to the anatomy of that page of results.
Whatever the SERP – Bing’s aim is to get the user to success as fast as possible.
Brilliant from Nathan – I would say that as he ends by saying “this whole Darwinism in Search thing is really cool”.
Catch the rest of the Bing Series:
- How Ranking Works at Bing – Frédéric Dubut, Senior Program Manager Lead, Bing
- Discovering, Crawling, Extracting and Indexing at Bing – Fabrice Canel Principal Program Manager, Bing
- How the Q&A / Featured Snippet Algorithm Works – Ali Alvi, Principal Lead Program Manager AI Products, Bing
- How the Image and Video Algorithm Works – Meenaz Merchant, Principal Program Manager Lead, AI and Research, Bing
- How the Whole Page Algorithm Works – Nathan Chalmers, Program Manager, Search Relevance Team, Bing