Meenaz Merchant with Jason Barnard at The Bing Series
Meenaz Merchant talks to Jason Barnard about the video and image algorithms.
Meenaz is team lead for multimedia – and that includes image search, video search and camera search.
The single most important factor for multimedia is relevance – ie fit for purpose / answers the intent. But also authority and trust (that are built over time – proving oneself) and engagement.
To understand images, they use alt tags, surrounding content, but also analysis of the image using machine learning.
They process every single image and recognise objects in the images. In terms of image analysis / object recognition, they started with faces of celebrities, and developed their machine learning from there.
For video, quality is vital… but also engagement. And the platform. And the player. Then also the sources that dominate depend on the type of query – news would tend to pull the BBC, CNN et al, entertainment would be mor YouTube, industry specific how-to’s more industry sites…
So there is not a ‘one rule fits all’. As usual 😉
Catch the rest of the Bing Series:
- How Ranking Works at Bing – Frédéric Dubut, Senior Program Manager Lead, Bing
- Discovering, Crawling, Extracting and Indexing at Bing – Fabrice Canel Principal Program Manager, Bing
- How the Q&A / Featured Snippet Algorithm Works – Ali Alvi, Principal Lead Program Manager AI Products, Bing
- How the Image and Video Algorithm Works – Meenaz Merchant, Principal Program Manager Lead, AI and Research, Bing
- How the Whole Page Algorithm Works – Nathan Chalmers, Program Manager, Search Relevance Team, Bing